Info, news, and views on Deepwater Horizon oil spill impact

Saturday, May 22, 2010

Pensacola Gulf Coast Oil Spill

I live and breathe in Pensacola, Florida, USA.

When life got too hard, I use to be able to pack up my little bits and pieces for the beach, head out, then gather strength from the beautiful Gulf of Mexico.

Now, I dread seeing dead dolphins, pelicans, or some other doomed creature, laying awash with oil sludge, like this photo on Elmer's Island, LA from  A.J. Sisco/ The Times-Picayune:






The day the Deepwater Horizon oil well began gushing petroleum toxins into the Gulf of Mexico, I stopped going to the beach.

The shock of this unimaginable disaster is wearing off. Now I am deeply angry. How could human greed, arrogance, and stupidity be allowed to rule the day? The day that we went too far.

Just because we can think of something to do, does not mean we should go ahead and do it. So many of our most ghastly mistakes fall into this category. We will have to evolve into more cognisant creatures or we are going to kill the entire planet.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts, feelings, and ideas on this issue

Followers